Pet Peave

Does this bother anyone else? I can not stand the sound of someone else eating while I'm not eating. If we're both eating, I'm fine. But if I'm not and I have to listen to every chew, swallow, and smack of their lips, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Take this morning for instance. I was minding my own business, using my laptop to catch up on some blogs at my kitchen table. Then my wife sits down at the table to eat a bowl of cereal. At first I didn't notice it because I was engrossed in what I was reading. But then without warning I could hear everything. It was like I was sitting across from a cow chewing its cud (smack, smack, smack). It was so loud and disturbing to my ears that I almost had to leave the table or make some smart aleck comment like, "Wow, that sure SOUNDS good."

But thankfully, I didn't do either of these things. I know that the problem is mine. I blame it on big ears. So I just grinned and beared it.