Favorite Christmas Gift

One of the gifts that I have really enjoyed receiving this Christmas is a cookbook called "A Man, A Can, A Plan." It's produced by Men's Health Magazine. The premise is... simply made meals from ingredients primarily consisting of canned foods, and all reasonably healthy, too.

I was excited to get this book because I have been really getting into cooking recently and I thought this book would be a great primer.

Here's an example: Border Patrol Casserole

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dump 2 -5 oz. cans of chunk lean ham (drained), 2 -15 oz. cans of barbecue baked beans, and 1/2 of a 16 oz. jar of chunky salsa into a casserole dish. Smother with 1 1/2 cups of baked tortilla chips and 1/2 cup of shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted through. Makes 6 servings.

Now doesn't that sounds fun! I made it and it was delicious.


WARNING: If you should happen to pick up this book, let me offer this word of caution! I made this meal and another the following night that also called for beans in the recipe. Not wise.