I'm So Excited!

On the way to work the other day I heard the song "I'm So Excited" by the Pointer Sisters. In an instant I was transported back to the summer of 1984. It was the summer of the Olympics and Mary Lou Retton would make history becoming the first American woman ever to win a gold medal in gymnastics. With her perfect 10's she captured the imagination of Americans everywhere... but more importantly she stole my heart.

I vividly remember watching a video montage of her exploits set to the song "I'm so excited." I was glued to the set, my heart fluttering as only a 10 year old's heart can. I was in love. With my heart aching I wondered how was I ever going to make contact with my Mary Lou, and would she reciprocate my love? I was crushing hard.

Well, it never worked out for me and Miss Retton but in a sick twist of fate I would end up graduating from Northland Christian High School in Houston, TX, the ALMA MATER OF MARY LOU RETTON!!! Unfortunately she graduated many years before me. I did however go to school with Kerry Strug another Olympic Gold Medalist. We even sat together a couple of times in the cafeteria. But she could never fill that hole in my heart left by Mary Lou.












Well, that was my childhood crush on someone famous. Who was yours?